What is an Operator?

Operators are the people responsible for ensuring the safe and continuous operation and maintenance of our water systems.

While water is provided by nature, we rely on a complex network of pipes, equipment, and people to safely deliver clean water, and remove used water, from our homes and businesses. Find out more about how our water systems work.

Where do Operators work?

At facilities that treat, distribute, and collect water and wastewater. These facilities can be large or small, depending on the population size they are serving, and may be owned by a municipality, regional district, private company, or individual.

What does an Operator do?

The duties of an Operator are hands-on and include tasks such as testing and treating water samples, testing and fixing equipment, and monitoring and tracking equipment sensor data. Specific tasks and the equipment and technology used in a facility will vary depending on the size, type, and location of the facility.

For more examples of typical Operator duties, check out the EOCP Program Guide.

What types of Operators are there?

Operators are certified to work at a specific type of facility, and at a particular level.

There are a four primary types of facilities that an Operator can become certified to work at:

  • Water treatment: cleans and treats water to ensure it safe to use and drink
  • Water distribution: distributes clean, treated drinking water to residents and businesses
  • Wastewater collection: collects dirty wastewater from residents and businesses
  • Wastewater treatment: cleans and treats wastewater before it is sent back into our environment

Small water and wastewater systems also do all of the above, but serve a maximum of 500 people.

Operators obtain their certification level based on their experience and skills. These levels are:

  • Operator in Training (OIT): optional for new Operators that have relevant education or hands-on experience. Obtaining an OIT certification may provide job applicants with an advantage over other applicants, but it is not required to become a Level I Operator.
  • Level I to Level IV: operators that work in facilities, progressing from Level I to Level IV as they gain experience and skills.
  • Small systems or multi-utility: operators that work in facilities serving small populations.

For more information on certification, check out the EOCP Program Guide.

Where can I get a job as an Operator?

As of 2015, there are approximately 3,300 Certified Operators and 2,000 facilities in BC and the Yukon. You can start your job research by looking into the following options:

  1. For current Operator opportunities, check out the EOCP Job Vacancies Page

The local government system in British Columbia is made of up of 27 regional districts and 162 municipal governments. They provide services such as water and wastewater, and also own the infrastructure and are responsible for maintaining it.

  1. Municipalities – check out the website for your city or the cities close to you. You may also want to visit Civic Info BC, which has a careers page that includes job opportunities for all municipalities in BC.
  1. Regional districts – examples include:
  1. Private utilities – these are companies that design, build, own, and/or operate water and wastewater facilities. Examples include:
  1. Improvement districts – these are the local authorities, usually located in rural areas, responsible for providing services to small subdivisions and larger communities. Services include water, fire protection, street lighting, dyking, drainage, garbage collection, and parks, etc.

Examples include:

  • Beaver Creek Improvement District
  • Genelle Improvement District
  • Gillies Bay Improvement District
  • Glenmore-Ellison Improvement District
  • Lund Waterworks Improvement District
  • North Cedar Improvements District
  • Ootischenia Improvement District

You can search for Operator positions in these districts through the BC Public Service.

  1. Other options include:
    • Parks, resort, and campgrounds
    • Industrial plants and pulp mills
    • Remote camps for LNG and oil – packaged water and wastewater treatment plants are installed for the employees of these camps


How long does it take to become an Operator?

It depends on your level of experience and training, and what Operator level you want to start your career at.

  • Operator in Training (OIT) is an optional certification for new Operators, but it is not required to become a Level I Operator. OITs require three months (500 hours) of hands-on experience or 90 hours (9.0 CEUs) of training through a directly applicable, approved course. To find current courses offering 9.0 CEUs, please contact the EOCP Office.
  • Level I Operators require 12 months (1,800 hours) of hands-on experience. The experience must be verified in the Application for Certification and you must now be in BC or the Yukon.

If you want to become a small system or multi-utility Operator, please contact the EOCP Office to find out more about the requirements.

What course(s) should I take?

Course work is not required to become a certified Operator, but completing a course that is directly applicable to the EOCP certification you want is an excellent way to prepare for the certification exam and work towards higher levels of certification more quickly. For example, if you been approved to take the Wastewater Treatment (WWT) Level I exam, you may want to take a course approved for WWT Level I. For a list of courses offered throughout BC and Yukon, please visit the EOCP Customer Relationship Management System (CRM).

That Small Systems/BWD require 12 hours of education in an approved course.

How do I get certified as an Operator?

Once you have met the experience or training requirements found under Exam Requirements, you may register through the EOCP Customer Relationship Management System (CRM). Operators with existing CRM profile can login and apply.

Exam session dates and locations can be viewed through your CRM profile under the Career Management tab.  The application cut-off is three weeks prior to the exam date.

You can find a step-by-step guide on applying for an EOCP Exam by clicking here.

Can I apply my previous experience?

Yes. If you have municipal water and wastewater experience, it will apply to the training and experience required to become a certified Operator.

The following related experience may be substituted for up to half of the experience required for a Level I exam:

  • Maintenance, laboratories, other water and pollution control positions.
  • Other similar operating positions.
  • Allied trades (such as plumber, millwright, or other certification categories).

Only directly related experience can be used to qualify for an Operator in Training exam.

Do I have to go to school?

To become certified as an Operator in Training or Level I Operator you are required to provide proof of completion of high school, GED, an adult graduation diploma, or a post-secondary diploma where high school is a requirement with your application. No additional formal education in water and/or wastewater is required to become a certified Operator.

If you do not have a copy of your high school diploma you can order your transcripts here:

If you are not a high school graduate, learn more about your options.

If you wish to become a small systems Operator, proof of graduation from high school is not a requirement.

Where can I go to school or get training?

For a full list of recognized providers, visit the EOCP Customer Relationship Management System (CRM)

Do I have to take an exam?

Yes. Once you have met the experience or training requirements, you will need to submit an online application through the EOCP Customer Relationship Management System (CRM). The application process can take up to three weeks from the date the application is received by the EOCP.


Each province and territory, except Quebec, has signed a Reciprocity Agreement. This means that any Certification, in good standing, from another jurisdiction within Canada can be straight transferred via Reciprocity. Most employers are aware that active, in good standing certifications from other provinces can be transferred – but please note that Expired tickets cannot be transferred by Reciprocity.

Please also note that exam marks cannot be transferred via reciprocity – only Active Certifications.

To apply for Reciprocity with EOCP, you need to be employed or have an employment offer letter with an Employer in the our jurisdiction. We look at your Employment Status with a BC/YT Company and that your are working as an Operator in our jurisdiction.

For EOCP, once employed, you will need to create a CRM profile online with EOCP – you then apply online through your CRM profile. You will need to establish relationships your new BC/Yukon Employer and upload the required documents to the website during the application for Reciprocity.

You can submit your application for Reciprocity through the EOCP online Customer Relationship Manager at