The below information lists the combinations of education, training, and experience required for eligibility to write the examinations for each level of certification.
You can find a quick reference guide for all of our certifications below:
- Operator In Training
- 3 months (minimum 500 hours) at Class I or higher facility/system, or completion of 90 hours (9.0 CEUs) in an approved basic Operator training course
- As of 1 January 2018, there is only one exam and certification for Operator-in-Training (encompassing Water Treatment, Water Distribution, Wastewater Collection, and Wastewater Treatment)
- Multi-Utility Level I
- 12 months (minimum 1,000 hours) at two or more Class I or higher facilities/ systems, including 500 hours in desired utility at a facility or system that serves less than 10,000 people
- Completion of approved training course with minimum 0.6 CEUs (specifically approved for Multi-Utility certification in desired utility)
- Level I
- 12 months (1,800 hours) at Class I or higher facility/system
- Multi-Utility Level II
- 36 months (minimum 3,000 hours) at two or more Class I or higher facilities/ systems, including 1,500 hours in desired utility at a facility or system that serves less than 10,000 people
- Completion of approved training course with minimum 0.6 CEUs
- Level II
- 3 years (minimum 5,400 hours) at Class I or higher facility/system
- Level III
- 4 years (minimum 7,200 hours) at Class II or higher facility/system
- 2 years of directly applicable post-secondary education or 90 CEUs
- 2 years Direct Responsible Charge at Class II or higher facility
- Level IV
- 4 years (7,200 hours) at Class III or higher facility
- 4 years of post-secondary training/ education or 180 CEUs
- 2 years Direct Responsible Charge at Class III or higher facility
Note: For all of the above certifications, there is also a high school requirement. Proof of high school will be accepted with a High school diploma, GED, Adult Graduation Diploma, Red Seal Trade or Prior Learning Assessment. Yukon students must also meet the British Columbia requirements in order to graduate.
- To order your BC high school transcript – Click here
- To order your Yukon high school transcript – Click Here
- We have information on the BC Adult Graduation Program available here for residents of BC and Yukon.
Small Water System / Small Wastewater System / Bulk Water Delivery
- 1.2 CEUs
- 6 months (minimum 50 hours) hands-on experience
- Note – High School is not a requirement for small systems certification
You can also view a guide to applying for the above exams in the EOCP CRM by clicking here.
Note: if you are not sure where your personal situation fits with the above information, please contact the EOCP office at 604-874-4784 or toll free at 1-866-552-3627, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.